Books Are Dumb. Reviews are dumberer.

I love reading even though I don't seem to have time to do enough of it. Most of what I read is non fiction and can stray towards art books. Generally I just go into one of the many libraries here in San Diego , CA and see what's on the 'New Books' shelf and go from there. If I liked a book I'll tell you why, if I thought it sucked ass, I'll maybe go into why.

June 13, 2007



Always running : La Vida Loca, gang days in L.A. by Luis J. Rodriguez. ISBN:0671882317.
Memoirs of Chicano gang life in the late 1960's. He opens by explaining that his book is often banned in schools and is also one of the most stolen books in urban libraries. The book is raw and not full of crappy literary filler. Graphic as one would presume, but more explicit when it came to discussing his coming of age sexual escapades rather than the violence I had anticipated. Overall, a depressing, honest account of someone's fuck ups and attempts at success in a community with few opportunities. Plus there's an appendix chocked full of spanglish gang sayings, who doesn't need one of those?
Warning: You may want to slam heroin or start a riot upoon completing this book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click Here to help us find Jennifer Kesse, a beautiful 24 year old woman missing from Orlando Florida since January 24th, 2006.